Wednesday, January 20, 2016

3 places to buy sewing supplies that can be way cheaper than Joann's


As an amateur sewist on a limited budget, I enjoy finding ways to save money and yet expand my arsenal of basic supplies. We have a local Joann's in town and they do have many good deals, especially when combined with coupons, but there are other places that I have noticed more recently that offer much cheaper deals on particular supplies. Today I'd like to share what I've found so far.

Wawak.com 

This is a site that I first heard of from The Prudent Homemaker. For a long while, I waited to order because I couldn't really justify a need for a sizeable order that would make the shipping worth it. But then for this past Christmas I got a new serger machine and needed to buy thread for it. When I started to research thread prices on Amazon, I wondered how much they would be on Wawak. Sure enough, 3000m spools of Maxi-lock thread were much cheaper - $1.79 per cone (on sale) compared to $4.39 at Joann's and $5.43 at Amazon.com. Since I had saved up some spending money, I decided to go ahead and invest in some basic colors of Gutermann thread as well as zippers since both were on sale. Having these extra supplies on hand has made it much easier for me to work on small projects without having to run out to the fabric store and print out coupons.

Amazon.com

Amazon.com may not always have the best prices on sewing supplies, but I have found that sewing machine specialty feet can often be really affordable there. I have gotten into free-motion quilting and was able to find some good feet for that as well as a 1/4 inch seam guide foot. I also received an order of Wonderclips which can replace pinning a piece together. At Joann's, the Clover Wonderclips are $16.49 (and that's a Doorbuster price of 50% off) for 50 clips. At Amazon.com, you can purchase a package of 100 URBEST Wonder clips for $7.99 as of this writing.

Walmart

I honestly have not purchased too much from Walmart's sewing section yet, but I have noticed that their prices on fabric are very competitive with or cheaper than Joann's. You can find many nice prints of quilting fabric or upholstery fabric for under $5 a yard.

I am sure I'm missing many other great sources out there. If you have anything to add, I'd love to hear!

3 comments:

  1. I agree, Joann's is expensive! I find that garage sales can be a great place to pick up fabric, thread and other notions. Sometimes I use (clean) bed sheets from the thrift store on projects. The other thing I like to do is "part out" old clothes- taking out zippers, buttons, etc- to use for new sewing projects. Depending on what you are making, sometimes old clothing can be re-cut to serve a new purpose(I do this with T-shirts that are too baggy, for example).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I should have mentioned thrift stores and garage sales as well. Thanks for adding that! I have even found unused yardage of regular fabric at thrift stores for 50 cents to a dollar for a couple of yards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I should have mentioned thrift stores and garage sales as well. Thanks for adding that! I have even found unused yardage of regular fabric at thrift stores for 50 cents to a dollar for a couple of yards.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...