Saturday, January 16, 2016

A modest kitchen makeover


A few weeks ago I wrote about how we were saving money by making our own board and batten trim for our cabinets. Since then, we have painted our cabinets, added hardware and I painted a chalkboard wall as an accent. This is hopefully not our "forever" kitchen, which frees us up to experiment and try things that we otherwise might have been afraid to. On the other hand, it will be our "for awhile" kitchen, so we don't want to totally not care about how it looks - I do spend almost half my day in here, at least it feels that way :).

Here is what the before looked like:


This is what it looked like from the other side of the cabinets in our dining area (one cabinet was already missing as my husband had started to take them down when I was snapping pictures). It always felt cut-off to me, and the cabinets made it hard for me to talk to people in the dining area:


Now, the kitchen now looks like this (well, not exactly like that - I had to make a Herculean effort to remove all Legos, random papers and other clutter to take the picture before it returned to its normal state of managed chaos):


And from another angle:


For less than $200 (including hardware, paint, repair materials, and a tool which we can use in other areas), I am happy with this change. It's not a Pinterest-perfect kitchen, but it's perfect for our budget, and the changes we've made make the space much more brighter and functional. I love having a view of the western sunlight pouring through the window on the opposite end of the room as I make dinner. I would love to replace the flooring and counter too but right now, with 4 kids who put our floors to the test, I am happy with what we have.

1 comment:

  1. It looks so fresh and pretty! Love the open shelves too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...