Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Favorite Frugal Fix-Ups: Machine-Quilted Pillow Shams

machine quilted pillow shams

Our master bedroom is still in need of a headboard, but last week I finally finished sewing two pillow shams for our bed. I used old sheets for the fabric and a crib-sized piece of batting from Joann fabrics to make the shams. I have never machine-quilted anything, but I like to use projects like this to push myself to learn new skills.

I also thought it would be nice to add piping around the edges for contrast. I already had some cotton-piping on hand and used a tutorial on making my own bias tape to cut the fabric for the piping.

The most frustrating part was adding the piping to the shams. I only left a 1/4" seam allowance when I was actually stitching in the piping, which meant I had very little fabric to hold on to on the edge when I was trying to feed a bulky quilt-sandwich + piping through my machine. The first sham was extremely hard, but I learned how to manage it better by the second sham and that one went much better.

What about you? Are there any DIY projects you are working on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...