Friday, February 5, 2016

So you can't pay off $20,000 in 6 months?


I recently began to work on my Pinterest boards for this website, and one board I wanted to create was "Inspiring Debt Stories." I love to read debt-payoff stories, don't you? It's encouraging to see how others have looked debt square in the eyes and slayed it with their light-saber debt skills.

And then I switched on my own debt saber. It barely flickered on, glowing for a few minutes, and then faded out. But shouldn't it work like the others? Shouldn't I be able to ditch my debt as easily as they did?

I thought it would be good to write a post on this today because while I love the big debt payoff stories, I also think that they are not the only ones. My story, at least the way it looks right now, will probably be one that's titled, "I paid off $90,000 of debt in 20 years!" (Just kidding, let's hope it's not that long).

It was encouraging to me to talk with a woman the other night at my friend's son's birthday party. The woman had five kids and homeschooled like me, and as we got to talking, we found out that both of our husbands had gone to law school, and they had gone through the stresses of having a family and loans like we did. She said that it took them about 5 years to pay off their loans, and they were very careful with what they borrowed. I have no idea how much they had to pay off, but I was encouraged that it was okay to take 5 years, or even 10 if you need it.

Everyone's story is different, and everyone's challenges are different. Some people don't have the energy levels to start a business on the side and be present for their families at the same time. Others are just not entrepreneurs, and their schedules do not allow an extra job to create extra income. Yet others feel like they have other priorities than paying off their debt right away.

I hope that we do pay off our debt soon, but in the meantime, I will keep on trying to move forward, even if it feels like I am riding a tricycle in the Tour-de-France.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...