Sunday, April 2, 2017

Our frugal mudroom makeover

It's been awhile since I posted on home projects, and one reason for that is that between homeschooling and keeping the house going, it's not easy to find extra time to work on my long list of ideas. We've finally finished one of our entryways, though, and today I'd love to share it with you!

This entrance comes off of our attached garage, leading into the kitchen/family room. Before we re-did it, it was a nondescript blank space and dumping ground for whatever people didn't put away. Sometimes we would have an old small shoe shelf there, but for the most part, it was a very sad space.

Here is what it looked like before:


And here is what it looks like after:


Much better, right? I had envisioned a mudroom-style entryway with a small bench, and since shiplap is in right now, we did a faux shiplap treatment using strips of 1/4 inch plywood underlayment. I designed and built the upper shelf myself for about $8 in wood, and the bench came from this plan at ana-white.com. You can't tell from looking, but the shoe bench also has a hidden compartment for storing things like hats and gloves (a big need here in the Midwest!).

I added the chalkboard by spray-painting an old mirror that was left in our home by the previous owners. It was a cheap mirror that warped your body, so it wasn't really worth saving. I sanded down the darker stain to give it a more distressed look and my husband nailed it in. The magnetic chalkboard/organizer on the left wall is from Ikea.com. I purchased it a long time ago, but they still carry it for about $15. It has been such a useful piece, and now that it's in this new location it's perfect for hanging our keys and sorting mail that comes in.



We initially did the shiplap, hooks, shelves, and bench as well as painting the doors, but once all of that was done, the linoleum floor looked really bad (not that it looked that great before). To give you a backstory on why there is linoleum upon linoleum here, when we first moved here this room was carpeted. We took out the carpet a few years ago because of cigarette smells coming out of it, and I was concerned about taking the top linoleum up because the bottom linoleum is original to the house and could have asbestos.

I had seen several tutorials on Pinterest about painting your linoleum, and figured that the cost of porch paint and a stencil was cheaper than buying a new rug and easier to clean. I have been very happy with how it's held up so far. We did have one part come up when we pulled off the painters' tape, but the rest has shown no chipping or flaking.

Before, this area was not only an eyesore, but also lacked function for a family of six that needs somewhere to put their coats and shoes. Now, not only do I love looking at it, we actually use this space. For less than $70 (after using a gift card), it is a change that was definitely worth the expense!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...